Labels

Friday 2 March 2012

Seed Germination

I was told about this very interesting experiment from my mother. Basically if you want to see the rate of germination of any seeds then you can do quite easily just with some water and kitchen roll. I chose 5 seed varieties at random (I just wanted to see if this worked first) and then put a damp piece (you will need to keep this damp) of kitchen roll over a square of glass. I then put my choice of seeds on to the kitchen roll, labelled them with the name and date and covered the whole thing in cling film. The idea is that you can then monitor how quickly each type of seed germinates and the percentage that work so you then know whether to sow more or less of a particular type of seed.


I did this on the 24th Feb and these are the results so far....

1) Dusty Miller (Senecio Cineraria)
Very very hard to see but a tiny thin shoot.

2) Cape Jasmine (Gardenia Jasminoides)
Something green appearing - very small but I am not sure if this is mould :(



3) Midnight Candy (Zaluzianskya Capensis)
No obvious signs of growth


4) Evening Primrose Apricot Delight (Oenothera odorata)
No obvious signs of growth


5) Alyssum Carpet of Snow (Alyssum maritima procumbens)
The star performer!!! Amazing growth




No comments:

Post a Comment